Thursday, October 18, 2007

We Loves Our BBQ, Book Em, and the Great Pumpkin

Last night on the local news, there was a notice about the Greensboro Police Club's annual barbecue fixin', and as I am a barbecue nut, it more than caught my attention. The cooks stayed up all last night roasting about a ton of dead animal and then sold it at the clubhouse today. So I drove up yonder after work, picked up a passle of it, and brought it home. Hoooey! I ate way, way, way too much. But I couldn't stop myself.

Tomorrow, I'm off to Book Em, the benefit book sale for literacy, in Waynesboro, VA. Lots of authors from the region (and elsewhere) will be there selling books, with a portion of the proceeds going to promote literacy in Virginia jails. If you're anywhere in traveling distance and care to drop by, please do. It's at Waynesboro High School. Writer Matt Warner is also slated be there; I expect the two of us will pretty much make up the horror contingent this year.

And in dire need of some of that Halloween spirit, I put on the DVD of It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. I think it worked. I'm starting to feel scary.

2 comments:

David Niall Wilson said...

You want scary? "Tommy" - the Hertford Turtle you helped us save from death in the King St. Cemetery, laid an egg. Then he/she laid another one. There are no male turtles (apparently) in our tank, so they remain infertile, looking somewhat like Tic Tacs...she has so far killed at least one snail for getting too close (lol).

Haven't seen the Great Pumpkin in years...

D

Stephen Mark Rainey said...

I can bring THE GREAT PUMPKIN with me -- it won't be too far past Halloween.

Tommy probably wants escargot and just hasn't figured out how to prepare it yet.