Saturday, March 24, 2012

Another Day at Kastle Kaiju

Time for another celebratory gathering of monster movie geeks at Damned Rodan's Kaiju Kastle. This morning, con man extraordinaire Bill Mann and mad artist M. Wayne Miller descended into the pit of chaos to kick off the day-long fest. First up, the Ray Harryhausen dinosaur monsterpiece, The Valley of Gwangi, which I hadn't seen since I had considerably more hair up top. The traditional lunch at Ham's at Lakeside followed, where significant geekery unfolded, much to the horror of innocent passersby. Then, back home, up came The Host, the 2006 Korean oddity that features the most grotesque oversize carnivorous fish with legs you probably ever saw. I had viewed it at the theater on its initial run, and it left me somewhat nonplussed. Knowing what to expect this time, I enjoyed it a bit more, particularly the exceptionally well-done monster scenes. Finally, just to make sure Godzilla wasn't overlooked, we ran Monster Zero (a.k.a. Invasion of the Astro-Monster), and it was bloody proper, it was.

After all this, Brugger came round, bringing with her a massive rain and hail storm, which came perilously close to flooding my living room. Fortunately, the water stopped just shy of entering, though when it receded, it left me a moat filled with alligators. Made it rather difficult for us to get to dinner, at Taste of Thai—easily one of the best Thai establishments in the area. A purty rainbow greeted us as we arrived at the restaurant, but by the time we came out, it was raining all over again. At least...so far...we have avoided the tornadoes.

A few episodes of Dexter rounded out the evening. I do hope that when I wake up in the morning I don't look out the window and discover that my house has drifted out to Cape Fear or someplace.

Dammit. I left my sandbags in my other pants pocket.

Purty.

No comments: