Sunday, September 30, 2012

Blue Devils, Caches, and Chicken Salad


Blue Devil Island the treatment, here: Rainey's Blue Devil Island Deftly Combines War and Horror Fiction. You can still get the beautifully produced paperback edition from Marietta Books from Amazon.com here. The original Five Star Books hardback is, alas, out of print.

I needed a hike something fierce today, as I haven't gotten in much extracurricular walking this week. So, I went out to nearby Keeley Park, one of Greensboro's newest recreational facilities, and hid a new geocache, called Frankenstein Conquers the World — yes, after the Toho monster pic (the two companion caches in the park are War of the Gargantuas: Sanda and War of the Gargantuas: Gaira). It wasn't a big hike by any stretch, but so choked with briers and poison ivy that I did get a pretty fair workout in the process.

I whipped up some chicken salad for lunch today, and damn if I didn't get to experimenting a bit: I hit it with some Dave's Ultimate Insanity, which isn't so much a hot sauce as a concentrated burst of liquid fire (about 250,000 Scoville units). Might as well give you my recipe, but don't say I didn't warn you.

Damned Rodan's Ultimate Chicken Salad
(Makes about four sandwiches)

What You Need:
  • 2 cooked chicken breasts, torn to bits
  • 3/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 dozen Trader Joe's jalapeno-stuffed olives, diced
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
  • Tbsp. soy sauce
  • dash of powdered garlic
  • dash of celery salt
  • dash of powdered ginger
  • 3–4 drops Dave's Ultimate Insanity

What You Do:

Combine the ingredients in a big bowl and smash 'em up. Scoop some on sandwich bread. Eat. Scream.

No comments: