Sunday, September 25, 2022

Mavahi Class of 1977 45th Reunion — Plus Bonus!

"Mavahi" is the official short form of Martinsville, Virginia, High School, my alma mater. Last night was our 45th (WHAT?) reunion, so Brugger and I oiled up the old bones and creaked our way to it. After our big trip to Michigan, we had one only night at home before heading out for another overnighter, but at least Martinsville is only an hour's drive from Greensboro. The reunion was held at TAD Space, a relatively new business and event facility in Uptown Martinsville. Since COVID-19 had squashed the 1975 and 1976 class reunions, we had a triple-header, with all three classes coming together to celebrate being kinda fuckin' old. With all the celebrating, hugging, and hollering, I shouldn't be surprised if the covidz or other germy nasties got loose in there, but Ms. B. and I are as shot up with anti-covid juice as we can be. I hope that malady will be a non-event, not just for us, but for all who attended, since I know a few there who suffer from chronic health issues.
Dr. Stan


I haven't missed any of the previous reunions, and although I've remained close friends with only a handful of my old classmates, it's always a joy to see the entire lot on these occasions. Gathering with old friends from the classes of '75 and '76 was an added bonus this year, particularly since I haven't seen some of them since high school. The only sadness that comes from these class events is that, at each, the crowd is smaller than at the last. Our class in particular has lost what seems to be a disproportionately large number of alumni. One of our classmates passed away just days before the event. To start off the reunion, friend and fellow author, Dr. Stan Gravely, offered a moving tribute to our friends who have gone before us.

Brenda's Catering provided us with a decent dinner, and the cash bar did a brisk business (I have it on good authority that Brugger made this gig worth their while). Our DJs kept up a stream of 1970s tunes at just the right volume — loud enough to enjoy without overwhelming conversation. (That said, the acoustics in TAD Space aren't necessarily the best for clear communication.) The gangs from the various classes that pulled this event together did a commendable job.

I must give a special shout-out to old friends Bob & Yvonne Moore, with whom Brugger and I have connected on several occasions. Although we as couples keep promising each other we'll get together again, life's twists and turns have continually pulled us in other directions. This time, though... definitely. The commitment has been made.

The next reunion for my class... mein gott... will be at 50 years. I hope to make that one. I plan to make that one. How lovely it would be if everyone who attended the 45th (as well as those who couldn't get to this one for their own reasons) will be there for that half-century celebration of friendship, achievement, and life in general.

Peace out.
Old dude and pretty young lady.
Classmates Ellen, Rick, Sally, Mary, Margaret, and Rich.
Friends Yvonne & Bob
Let this train keep on riding on through.
Nothing to see here.
Mavahi Class of 1977

No comments: