Friday, December 16, 2022

Unhinged... Again!


It’s sad, but it sure feels like my old hometown is also home to a disproportionate share of unfortunate, not altogether stable individuals. A while back, my daughter encountered one who unnerved her mightily (see “The Tale of the Unhinged Door Bash Victim”). And there was yet another unsettling incident again today, possibly more traumatic than the first.

This afternoon, while here on one of my regular visits, I was out walking around the nearby lake area when Allison called and said a man had come up to the front porch and stolen her pack of cigarettes, which she'd left outside. I was close enough that, by stepping up my pace, I soon saw him semi-staggering in the middle of the road. I proceeded forth and expressed, with reasonable restraint, my disapproval of the whole trespassing and stealing thing. At this time he became quite belligerent. He proceeded to threaten me and suggested future threats. Now, at the time, I was not without means of self-defense, but I did not escalate the situation any further. Well... that's not entirely fair. Once he told me he'd burn down my house, I gave him a somewhat vivid description of the consequences, not necessarily legal. Then, however, I did disengage and called the cops to report the situation.

Shortly, I encountered an old friend from the neighborhood, who had heard the more heated portion of the exchange. Not long afterward, she actually saw him a bit farther on — still staggering down the middle of the road. By now, I had seen a couple of cops drive by, but they clearly had not interfered with his progress. However, after a while, they called me back to inform me that other people in the neighborhood had also reported him, and they'd be stepping up patrols, particularly over the holidays.

Obviously, none of this is about cigarettes. But someone brazen enough to come on private property and steal anything might well not stop there. At least the police are aware of this “gentleman,” and not just from me. (In the photo, that’s my daughter's cigarette lighter in his hand, not a weapon. As I mentioned above, at the time, I was not without means to defend myself.)

Now, as is my habit, I have second-guessed myself over and over, and I wonder if I shouldn't have simply acknowledged that he might be in a bad situation and offered whatever short-term assistance I could. Or simply let it go; maybe I should have reported him to the police without confronting him. But as my father’s brother once said to Dad, You might not remember this, but our father had a temper!” Oh, yeah, Dad remembered, all right. And so do I. For me, letting go of the anger over someone trespassing and stealing — even if it’s only a lighter and a pack of cigarettes — is challenging. Especially when my daughter is in any way involved.

And yes, once threatened, I threatened him back. But when I finally disengaged, I parted with, “Tell you what. Keep the smokes, but do NOT trespass again.” With that he waved and wandered away.

I really, really hope I never see or hear about this “gentleman” ever again. For both our sakes.

Addendum 12/22/22: This person’s name is Robert Wilson. He apparently has a history of mental issues.

No comments: