Thursday, February 16, 2023

The Fugue Devil Goes to School, the Old West House, and Kau

Author, professor, and good friend, Dr. Leverett Butts
A full day, generally a good one, winding to an end. Up early this morning to give a Zoom presentation about horror, writing, and the Fugue Devil to friend Leverett Butts’s literature class at the University of North Georgia in Gainesville. I’d met Lev in person on my last trip to Georgia back in October (“Sabbatical 2: Return to Georgia”), and he’d invited me to speak to his class. We had it set up for today, and I was originally planning to head down there to make a personal appearance, but circumstances didn’t work out so well for the trip. Regardless, it was a fun hour, and I felt like the presentation went swimmingly.

Immediately afterward, I set out for the West House Trail over by Lake Brandt with Old Rob, who wanted to do maintenance on a few of his caches. I went along just for the walk, and it turned out to be exceedingly pleasant. A couple of miles of hiking in moderate terrain and perfect weather.

For the rest of the afternoon, I did freelance graphic work for The Mailbox, which is good for some bucks, although I didn't manage to fit in any writing. Tomorrow, I should finish up the graphic stuff, so I figure I’ll be able to either finish or come damn near with my latest work-in-progress.

Last night, for Valentine’s Day evening, friends Terry & Beth came around for dinner at our place, so tonight, Brugger and I went out to Kau at nearby Revolution Mill, a quite nice establishment with good drinks and decent food. Kim had a Funky Bleu Cheeseburger (excellent), while I had a Braised Brisket sandwich (fair; very tender and would have been tasty, I think, if it hadn't been overwhelmed by Dijon mustard). An enjoyable outing, though, and not so crowded on the evening following Valentine’s Day.

I sleep now.
Gray day in the forest
Old Rob in front of the old West House
I think the wonky weather has confused the flowers in the woods about the season
A nice post-Valentine’s Day celebration at Kau

No comments: