Tuesday, October 17, 2023

T-Minus 0: DEATHREALM: SPIRITS


Why, yes, here 'tis: the offical release day for Deathrealm: Spirits! There's a better-than-average chance I'm gonna gush insufferably over this book, so be warned. I mean, damn, it features so many of the best of the best, why the hell wouldn't I?

It's been a long, weird road getting here, but I could hardly be happier with the result.

After Deathrealm magazine retired from service, back in 1997, I would say the single most-repeated question asked of me as an author/editor was "Will you ever bring
Deathrealm back?" Until relatively recent years, I said "Not a chance in hell." Back in the late 1990s, keeping that monster on a regular quarterly schedule, with distributors going bankrupt by the score and the traditional publishing realm shifting (and in some cases collapsing in spectacular fashion), I figured I didn't have it in me to attempt to resurrect the property, at least not as it was back in the day.

However, as an anthology project, the idea had some allure. A couple of times in the past, I've floated the idea, and about five years ago, I even had a publisher lined up for it. Due to extenuating circumstances, it never came about, but in hindsight, I'm glad of this. There's no way that project could have come together the way Deathrealm: Spirits has.

I hope you'll check it out — and please, whatever you think of it, reviews are most appreciated!

No comments: