Monday, April 15, 2024

My STC AuthorCon III Wrap-Up

Old Dude and Ms. B. at the Gross-Out Contest. No, we were not the stars.
Brugger and I just returned from a fantastic weekend at Scares That Care AuthorCon III in Williamsburg, VA, and I probably won't finish this blog tonight because I'm about to drop. Scares That Care is a charity organization put together by a group of horror professionals to help individuals in specific dire circumstances, and AuthorCon has become the biggest gathering of horror writers and artists in the country, if not the world. Largely via the conventions, the organization has raised an impressive amount of money over thirty-plus years, which goes directly to the selected recipients.

Ms. B. and I attended AuthorCon II last year and for me, sales-wise, it was one of the most successful cons ever. This year didn't quite match last year's total, but it was still a resounding success. I didn't have my own dealer table (tables had sold out within four minutes of being offered, and by the time I became aware that availability had been announced, they were all gone). However, being a regular Crossroad Press author, CEO David Niall Wilson offered me space at one of their three tables in the hotel's promenade area. My sincere thanks to the whole Crossroad Press gang — David W., David Dodd, and Trish Wilson (Patricia Lee Macomber)!
The Crossroad Press Gang: David Dodd, Patricia Lee Macomber (Trish Wilson), David Niall Wilson
Friday, April 12
We hit the road bright and early so we might arrive at Indian Fields Tavern in Charles City, about 25 miles this side of Williamsburg, in time for lunch. I've been there on a couple of prior occasions, and I cannot rave enough about their Charles City Burger. Yes, we got there in time for lunch, and I had one of them there burgers. So did Ms. B. I stopped for a couple of geocaches on the trip, but there aren't many near the major roads that I haven't already claimed.
 
Since it was considerably less expensive than the DoubleTree by Hilton, where the con takes place, we stayed at the nearby Merrimac Inn & Suites, which is an old-style motor court, hardly luxurious but comfortable enough. Our only complaints were a lack of good hot water and pressure in the shower and few electrical outlets. Fortunately, we had a tower with AC and USB outlets. Once checked in there, we booked it down to the con and set to work setting up one end of the Crossroad Press tables. Writer/Editor Katherine "Creepy Cat" Kerestman manned a table directly across from us and had plenty of copies of the anthology, The Weird Cat, which she and S.T. Joshi edited last year (this one contains my story, "Nimbus"). She's also a fellow Dark Shadows and Twin Peaks fan, so we have a lot of common interests, and it was cool to finally meet her in person. Along with Kat, I also met online friend and fellow Dark Shadows devotee, Ms. Amanda Trujillo, for the first time in person.
The notorious Mark Sieber

Also nearby lurked long-time friend and Horror Drive-In rock star, Mr. Mark Sieber, so we immediately launched into a lengthy gab session. I had just returned to the Crossroad Press table when my phone dinged, and I received notification that my interview on Cemetery Dance Online, conducted by writer Rick Hipson, had gone live. And who should be standing nearby but Mr. Rick himself, so again, it was great to meet yet another online friend in the flesh. (See Friday's blog announcement about the interview here.)
 
At 1600, the opening ceremony drew an already huge crowd to the main auditorium. It was a rousing kick-off, athough the temperature in there was oppressive enough to wilt the hardiest of the Fremen on the planet Arrakis. Lord have mercy. Fortunately, after the first night, the temperature in most areas of the hotel held steady at reasonably comfortable temperatures. At 1700, the main ballroom & promenade areas opened for business. Happily, business for me turned out fairly brisk. We found that old friend and purveyor of "Southern-Fried Horror," Mr. Ronald Kelly and his wife Joyce had set up across the way from us; I had originally suggested to him that we start a food fight, but with the high temps in the hotel, we decided it might be better to fling ice at each other. Ms. B. and broke around 2030 hours for what we hoped would be a quick dinner at the nearby hotel bar. But no; they ended up losing our order for two salads, and we ended up waiting an hour (at least they comped our drinks). We got back to our table with only a few minutes left before closing time.

Afterward, we retired to Dave & Trish's room and drank bourbon — well, some of us did, while others (Ms. B.) settled for boxed wine. It might have been a shade too much bourbon and wine, but I won't swear to it.
Katherine "Creepy Cat" Kerestman
Southern-Fried Horror! Joyce and Ronald Kelly
Saturday, April 13
Sirrah Madeiros and Joe Maddrey

Up bright and early, we stopped at a nearby Seven-Eleven to grab coffee and danishes for breakfast. At the con, business took off at a fair pace, and I moved a fair number of books. First thing, I ran into good friend Joe Maddrey, who had paid us a visit in Martinsville a few months back. He was talking to Kat across the way and trying to avoid me by keeping his back turned to me, but sadly for him, I recognized the back of his head. No escape for the wicked! About half the contributors to Deathrealm: Spirits were there at the con, so a good many lucky buyers were able to acquire some prized autographs in their copies. Onsite, we had contributors Maurice Broaddus, Heather Daughrity, Brian Keene, Ronald Kelly, Eric LaRocca, Patricia Lee Macomber, Bridgett Nelson, and David Niall Wilson. Also on hand were many of the Horror Writers Association Virginia Chapter; during the afternoon, we all got together for a group photo. Also from the chapter, I discovered Sirrah Medeiros, Mike Rook, Charles Wood, Sidney Williams, and Valerie B. Williams running amok in the hotel, so I dutifully terrorized them. Plaguing old friends Jeff Strand, Tom Deady, Mike DeadyRichard Dansky, John Langan, and others with my existence proved particularly exhilarating.
Scary Sidney Williams. Okay, maybe not that scary here.

At 1230, I had a reading with longtime compadre P.D. "Trish" Cacek, and attendance turned out to be pretty good, considering it was right in the middle of most people's lunchtimes. I had suggested that folks bring their lunch, though I worried a little that they might hurl food my way (not such a bad prospect if it were delicious, I guess), but no one flung anything. Afterward, a nice little discussion ensued, so this was one of the con's highlights for me.

The rest of the afternoon was a bit slower. The crowd had thinned after lunchtime, and there never was a very large resurgence, at least until the evening's festivities began. I did get to spend some time on the social front with Heather Daughrity and her husband, Joshua Loyd Fox, which was a treat. I recently read Heather's Echoes of the Dead fiction collection and gave it a blurb. Enjoyed a few nice spells yakking with Paul Tremblay, Eric LaRocca, Brian Keene, and others. For the evening, Ms. B. and I joined a large party headed up by the Crossroad Gang for dinner at the nearby The Whaling Company restaurant. Very good it was, with spicy cajun scallops for both Brugger and me. Present in the gang were old friends, artist Keith Minnion and writer Dave Simms, as well as newer acquaintances Justin Holley, Dan Henk, and Garrett Boatman, so we yakked on and on. This led us until fairly late in the evening, just in time to attend the customary Saturday night Gross-Out Contest. Such an event had never been high on my priority list, but I will say that we enjoyed it enough. Laughed a lot, and I guess it was pretty gross, if you have a penchant for that sort of thing.

We managed to drink considerably less than last night, which was a good thing, since that might have been way too much.
Mr. Dansky (and his good buddy, Sasquatch!) and Mr. Deathrealm
Jeff "I Am a Gross-Out Contest Judge and You're Not!" Strand & Bridgett "I Am Too!" Nelson
Oh, Lordy, the horror! Artist Keith Minnion and author David Simms
The Horror Writers Association Virginia Chapter, looking as pleasant as you'll ever see them
Sunday, April 14
Mr. Deathrealm, Heather Daughrity, Joshua Loyd Fox

After a brief stop at Starbucks for coffee and a light breakfast, we returned to the con for a couple of hours, did a little business, and then broke down a few minutes before noon, as we didn't want to be too late returning to our houseful of starving cats (who only had our cat sitter to look after and overfeed them under duress while we were gone). This time, we aimed ourselves at Cul's Courthouse Grill in Charles City, which we had discovered many years ago. They too are known for fantastic burgers, but I try not to have too much dead cow in one weekend, so I opted for their chicken tenders. Also very good. Only one cache stop on the way back to Martinsville.

I always enjoy AuthorCon, and we plan to attend next year's in Williamsburg, for sure — hopefully with a dealer table of my own. There's going to be new AuthorCon in St. Louis later this year, but that one is not in the cards for me, alas. Although sales were bit slower for me this year than last, I consider the weekend an absolute success. The events, the networking, and all-around fun times make this a con to treasure — not to mention the great good it does as a charity function. Such fantastic, selfless jobs by all the con organizers and volunteers, with special shout outs to Brian Keene, Joe Ripple, Angel Hollman-Gaston, Jake Lerner, Brian Smith, and everyone else who give this thing life and purpose — not to mention the wonderful folks who shelled out money for my books, only to have them devalued with my autograph. Such brave souls!
 
So... till next year, AuthorCon folks!

No comments: