Friday, August 30, 2024

Distant Early Warning: Shunned Houses, Coming in October


TO BE RELEASED ON OCTOBER 1, 2024: The new anthology, Shunned Houses, edited by S.T. Joshi & Katherine Kerestman, published by WordCrafts Press. This one features my short story, "The House at Black Tooth Pond," along with over three dozen tales by both classic and contemporary authors.

The hardcover and Kindle editions of the book are already available for pre-order at Amazon.com; the trade paperback will be available on release day.

At Necronomicon-Providence a couple of weeks ago, co-editor Kat Kerestman provided me with contributor copies of both the hardback and paperback editions, and I can verify that this is an absolutely gorgeous volume with an incredible table of contents. The antho includes stories and poems by Ambrose Bierce, Algernon Blackwood, Ramsey Campbell, Margaret Curtis, Maxwell I. Gold, William Hope Hodgson, Frank Belknap Long, Lori R. Lopez, H.P. Lovecraft, Edgar Allan PoeLilla Price Savino, Ann K. Schwader, John Shirley, and many more.

For good measure, I'll offer you the opening passage of my story, "The House at Black Tooth Pond," here:
# # #
By combining a high-pitched vocalization with a shrill, warbling whistle, my brother could mimic the cries of the whippoorwills that lurked in the nighttime woods around Black Tooth Pond, convincingly enough that only a trained ear could discern the difference.

I knew the difference.

The cry, mournful and eerie, now wafted from the darkness outside my bedroom window. I knew that sound, and it made me quail.

It wasn’t a whippoorwill’s song, but my brother’s.

My brother was dead.

No comments: