Saturday, October 13, 2007

A Birthday in the Mountains

Some days turn out rather special, and I'd count today as one of them. For my mom's birthday, Peg and I took her up to Chateau Morrisette on the Blue Ridge Parkway, where we had a dinner that I'm pretty sure hit the mark of perfection (beef tournedos, rare, with the chateau's own red wine sauce), along with good wine and gorgeous scenery. The weather couldn't have been nicer, and the mountains were as beautiful as they can be—at least before the leaves turn for fall. Chateau Morrisette is one of my favorite places around; in fact, Peg and I celebrated our anniversary there, back in August. They were having a big music festival today, with the Embers playing, which we didn't know about when I made the reservations, so I ended up having to park about a mile away, but it didn't impact the service at the restaurant, which was excellent.

For the rest of the day, I've been hiding out in Dad's old den, still hard at work on my new tale, which is tentatively titled "Demon Jar." Progress still seems a bit slow, but it's relatively steady, and yeah, it's a creepy tale. I like that.

No comments: