Thursday, November 12, 2009

How High Is the Water, Mama?


Two feet high and rising....

Once it gets up onto the porch, it's as good as in the living room. Not much farther to go, as the picture shows. Lots of flooding in the area this morning. Went to the office, passing a couple of low-lying areas that are now officially lakes, only to find that the power had been knocked out. So we turned around and came home, but the wind and water are now threatening here, as well. No sign of it stopping for the next day or so, either.

I was thinking about piling the cats up in front of the front door like sandbags, but when I mentioned it, they looked at me askance, so for now I've abandoned the idea.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been saving you a load of lumber for a rainy day. This certainly qualifies. I hope it's enough to build a boat if things get worse.

Stephen Mark Rainey said...

I'd been seriously considering the idea, but at least for now, the rain has stopped, the sun is out, and it's freaking summertime again. Argh. At any rate, knowing you, you'll find the perfect use for that lumber.... ;)

Unknown said...

Summer time indeed. I closed all the storm windows yesterday, which is why Mother Nature -- being the contrary witch she is -- made it crazily warm today.