Friday, January 10, 2020

Sayonara, Sandy Level Creep


Why, yes, I am suffering the great sadness, for the Sandy Level Creep is no more. For the past five years or so, he — and, more recently, a handful of companions — stood alongside the Old Axton Road in southeastern Henry County, VA, happily greeting passing motorists. For some long while, I had seen a "For Sale" sign outside the house where he lived; it always brought on a twinge of sadness and apprehension. The Creep was a bleepin' Sandy Level fixture! But back at Thanksgiving, when I didn't notice that gaggle of scary folk hanging out by the road, I feared the worst had happened. Sure enough, my past few trips through Sandy Level appear to confirm that my good friend, the Sandy Level Creep, is indeed gone.

I first noticed him back in 2015, standing all by his lonesome, one arm raised in cheerful greeting. Occasionally, he would boast a new wardrobe. Eventually, he even made himself a friend: a cute little devil-horned fellow for whom the Creep appeared to display considerable affection. After a time, a huge, bearded, ghoulish-looking chap joined the pair. A frizzy, chapeau-crowned ape man followed shortly afterward (which was actually our devil-horned friend wearing a mask; he wasn't fooling anyone, you know). Soon, the lot of them began showing off various hats, regularly changing poses and clothes. For me, traveling the Old Axton Road through Sandy Level between Martinsville and Greensboro became something of a treat.
I can't say I ever learned anything about the ghoulish gaggle. I halfway suspect the Creep himself might have been a Halloween prop who decided to stay on past the holiday. His later companions appeared at seemingly random times. So, I've no idea whether anyone, other than their owners, might know anything about their surely colorful life stories.

In the midst of some of the most trying times of my life as I've constantly gone to and from Martinsville to care for Mom, the Creep and cadre have added a lovely sparkle. I shall quite miss his huge toothy grin, his happily outstretched arm, his wide array of hats, and his colorful companions.

Sayonara, Creep.

1 comment:

David Niall Wilson said...

You should have stopped to ask if they might have just been stored, or moved. They could be YOUR lawn ornaments.