Thursday, February 4, 2021

That Lucky Old Moon and I

My brother, Phred, was a songwriter. He composed and performed dozens, if not hundreds, of his own compositions over the years, usually under the moniker Joe the Fireman. Sometimes Joe the Fireman was a band, comprising widely varying personnel; other times, Joe the Fireman was Phred going solo.

Phred’s songs tell his life’s story. Sometimes, they’re in cryptic code; sometimes, they spell out, in raw, graphic fashion, every struggle of his oftentimes troubled soul. Since his passing a couple of weeks ago, I’ve been reacquainting myself with his music, inasmuch as it is possible. I have a few cassette tapes of his songs, some performed solo, some with a backup band. I don’t know whether he ever wrote out lyrics, or set down chords, or left any kind of record, other than random tapes, a couple of vinyl pressings, and a few digital files that can be found here and there. I’m taking it upon myself to transcribe as many of his lyrics as I can manage, so that in some fashion, at least some of the story he related via his music may yet be preserved for posterity.

Here are the lyrics to “That Lucky Old Moon,” which rates high among my personal favorites.

That Lucky Old Moon
©Phred Rainey

I guess I might like the things she did
At least the things that I thought I saw
Rolled out the carpet, at least I think I did
Was purely open-hearted, that’s my tragic flaw

Came time to split the difference
Pared down to half a pair

I found a color to match her name
Fit her eyes like it filled the skies
Saw it brighten and I saw it fade
She wandered off and I wondered why

Came time to feel the distance
Who was I not to know the difference?

That lucky old moon and I
Get to count the stars at night
And count the reasons why

Fall in the lake
Hide in the hills

Then the spotlight became my friend
And lit the things that I turned to see
A brighter color and a brighter end
And got me off the ground that could bury me

New time to feel the difference
I found passion, no despair

Now that lucky old moon and I
Get to count the stars at night
And smile at the reasons why

Float on the lake
Make love in the hills

No comments: