Sunday, December 26, 2021

Smith Mountain Lake Madness


Well, it was only madness in that there was a shit ton of geocaching going on. I was up and at 'em fairly early this morning. Gassed up the car, gassed up me with a big honking bucket of coffee, and off I went. I stopped off in Rocky Mount to snag a quick park & grab hide, and then I threaded my way through Franklin County on a spidery network of back roads toward the big lake.

It felt rather like summer out there, with temperatures in the mid 70s. There were a good many people out and about, at least in places, but for the most part, I was able to hunt caches in both woodland and populated settings unimpeded. I did find a few cool hides — from the mooning dwarf shown above to a gaggle of giant beetles and a big honking spider. I came home with 14 finds and one DNF (did not find). I could hardly have asked for a better day to get out on my own, indulge in my outdoor passion, and decompress in beautiful surroundings.

There's a group going after my new night cache tomorrow evening, which makes me happy. I may tag along or something such, if circumstances permit.
The Blue Ridge Mountains in the distance, with the Peaks of Otter partly visible on the far right.
A lovely day at Smith Mountain Lake
Bugs!

No comments: