Sunday, April 6, 2008

The Deluge

Next person who says we're still in the middle of a drought, I'm going to swat them in the head. If we're still short of water, it's due not to lack of rain but the flood of human beings into the area. We've gotten so much rain in the past few weeks I can't get the water out of my shoes. Even the ones put away in my closet.

However...

Rain does not stop the dedicated geocacher. I spent the weekend in Martinsville placing a number of caches, included one multi-stage cache, wherein the cache-seeker has to find a number of micros, each of which contains clues to the next location until they reach the final treasure (the most valuable bit of which is a Three Stooges golf ball). I was out Friday night till after midnight (in the rain, with no shoes) setting up the caches in uptown Martinsville, then most of the day Saturday. I dropped another one out there this morning.

Best thing of all though was encountering several geocachers today who were out looking for my hides. What a great bunch of folks; it was a real pleasure to meet them, and I hope we'll run into each other again in other secret places.

I also made time to go hiking and find a few caches myself (yes, in the rain, dammit), work up some promotional stuff for Other Gods (which will probably be out within the next month or so), spend time with my mom, and get together with my friends, the Albaneses.

Peg stayed home with the cats, so I'm sure she's had more than her hands full.

I've also committed to being a guest at ZombieCon III in Chapel Hill (October 25—the weekend before Halloween). Time and location to be announced, so stay tuned.

1 comment:

David Niall Wilson said...

It has been a bit rainy here too...though not, probably as RAINEY as it is there...

Good to hear Other Gods is due soon...eagerly awaiting it. I actually heard from Joe this weekend and hope things are on rack for me to follow you....