What you need (serves two):
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 6 hot chili peppers (Serrano are perfect); 2 thinly sliced; 4 finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. hot chili oil
- 2 tbsp. Thai chili sauce
- 2 tsp. soy sauce
- 1/2 bell pepper, thinly sliced
- juice from 2 limes
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup chopped basil leaves
- 1 cup fish sauce (half for cooking, half for two side servings of sauce)
- 1 cup Jasmine rice
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1 tbsp. crushed dried chili pepper
What you do:
- To make two side bowls of hot chili fish sauce: into each small bowl, pour 1/4 cup fish sauce and add the two thinly sliced chili peppers. Stir into each bowl 1 tsp. Thai chili sauce, 1 tsp. soy sauce, and the juice from 1/2 lime. Now let the sauce sit and blend while the rest of the dinner is in the works.
- Get the Jasmine rice cooking so it'll be ready when everything else is.
- Place ground chicken in a bowl. Squeeze in the juice from 1 lime, and add sugar and the remaining fish sauce and Thai chili sauce. Knead thoroughly.
- Heat skillet or wok on high until it's super-hot. Then pour in hot chili oil. When oil is smoking hot, add garlic and chopped peppers. Stir for about a minute and then lower heat to medium.
- Add ground chicken mix and stir frequently.
- When chicken is almost done, add the basil leaves. Continue to stir.
- Before serving, drain excess liquid. (Careful!)
- Serve over rice on a bed of lettuce. Sprinkle crushed pepper over the chicken and finally place the slivers of bell pepper on top.
- Add desired amount of fish/pepper sauce. If you're like me, pour the whole damn bowl on there. And prepare to have your ass kicked.