Saturday, March 1, 2008

Down by the River


Spent a few pleasant hours this morning geocaching in Martinsville with Peg. We drove out to Fieldale, a nice, rural community in Henry County, and hiked the relatively new rail trail along the Smith River, where we located the geocache we were hoping to find. It was an ammo box filled with a fair number of goodies; I left an autographed copy of Love in Vein II, which features my story "Bloodlight"; took an ambulance Transformer toy; and logged the visit in the cache log.

Then we headed to uptown Martinsville, had coffee at The Daily Grind, and just for kicks located a couple of benchmarks, which are geodetic survey disks embedded in the walls of buildings, bridges, concrete posts, etc. There are several other geocaches in this area that I'd like to find, so I may make another trip out and about this afternoon.

Geocaching has turned out to be a very enjoyable activity, and it gives Peg and I something to do together, at least when it's terrain that she can manage. It's also giving me some good material for a new novel I'm formulating. Some intriguing possibilities here.

4 comments:

David Niall Wilson said...

Seems like a no-brainer that someone will do a book where some psycho leaves clues in geo-cache sites...or a kidnapper...

Surprised not to have seen it on CSI yet.

D

Stephen Mark Rainey said...

I think such an episode has been on LAW & ORDER, from what I'm told. Nothing so mundane, from where I'm sitting...

David Niall Wilson said...

What if you found something in a geo cache site that was from another time...or another dimension...where they ALSO geo-cache...

Stephen Mark Rainey said...

That brings to mind Bill Trotter's DEATHREALM tale...forget the title...in which a terrestrial hunting party ends up meeting an extra-dimensional hunting party. Same concept, different sport.