Thursday, August 7, 2008

Sometimes Geocaching Yields Unexpected Horrors


When I’m out geocaching, I’m very careful about where I put my hands. I’ve encountered all kinds of nasties out in the wild, black widow spiders being among the most common. Found a half dozen of them, just last week.

Yesterday, I happened upon something a little different. I lifted a stone and unearthed both a geocache and some kind of prehistoric-looking arthropod of considerable size, the likes of which I have never seen. All legs, pincers, and feelers, and fast-moving as hell. Thankfully, it vacated the premises quickly, knocking over a few trees and smashing a car in the process, clearing the way for me to claim the cache unmolested.

Don’t know what it was, but I hope to never see such a thing ever again.

2 comments:

Stewart Sternberg (half of L.P. Styles) said...

"When I’m out geocaching, I’m very careful about where I put my hands...." You know, I used to feel that way when I was dating after my divorce.

Stephen Mark Rainey said...

I can see how that might be just as prudent as avoiding the black widows. (You didn't date any black widows, did you?)